The Baltimore Police Department has fired an officer who was convicted of assault and other charges Thursday after he was captured in a viral video driving directly at a man and striking him with his patrol vehicle, officials announced Friday.

Robert Parks, a six-year veteran of the force, was found guilty of second-degree assault, misconduct in office and reckless driving Thursday.

Though Parks was found not guilty of the most serious charges, attempted second-degree murder and first-degree assault, his case was the most serious prosecution of a Baltimore Police officer in years. He had been suspended without pay since the incident in October.

The video shows Parks turning down an alley in Northwest Baltimore in his cruiser and driving straight at 46-year-old Antrell Smith, striking him.

Advertise with us

“From the moment we became aware of this incident, I made it clear that what we saw was disturbing, and the conduct was not consistent with our standards or the expectations we have for our officers,” Police Commissioner Richard Worley said in a news release. “Today’s termination reflects our commitment to accountability and to ensuring that the men and women who serve this city uphold the law, our policies, and the trust placed in them by the community.”

View post on X

Testimony in the trial revealed that Parks initially drove up to Wylie Liquors Bar in Northwest Baltimore and directed people sitting on the sidewalk to move. As they did so, Parks told Smith to come to his patrol vehicle due to an open warrant for failing to appear in court.

When Smith refused and walked away, Parks responded by chasing the man, who was on foot, in his cruiser.

Baltimore Circuit Judge Dana Middleton ruled Thursday that Parks’ actions were retaliatory and his use of force was excessive. Smith said in court he was afraid for his life.

“BPD officers take an oath to protect the residents of our city, and this individual clearly failed to live up to that oath,” Mayor Brandon Scott said in a news release. “As always, we will not hesitate to hold anyone accountable who endangers the safety of our communities, especially those sworn to protect them.”

Advertise with us

Mike Mancuso, the president of the Baltimore City Lodge No. 3 Fraternal Order of Police, could not immediately be reached for comment Friday evening.

Parks’ attorney, Chaz Ball, declined to comment.

Ball previously said his client was trying to bring Smith into custody.

“Officer Parks had no intent to kill him,” Ball said. “It was a calculated decision to corral a criminal.”

Ball argued that Parks turned on his body camera because he did not believe he was doing anything wrong.

Advertise with us

Deputy Police Commissioner Brian Nadeau sat in the courtroom during parts of the trial.

Parks remains free on home detention as he awaits sentencing scheduled for January.

Banner reporter Dylan Segelbaum contributed to this article.