NASHVILLE, Tenn. — A human smuggling case against Kilmar Ábrego García, whose mistaken deportation helped galvanize opposition to President Donald Trump’s immigration policies, was thrown out on Friday.

Ábrego García’s deportation to El Salvador last year became an embarrassment for Trump officials when they were ordered to return him to the U.S. Ábrego García claimed that both the timing of the criminal charges and inflammatory statements about him by top Trump officials demonstrated that the prosecution was vindictive.

U.S. District Judge Waverly Crenshaw, ruling from Nashville, granted Ábrego García’s motion to dismiss for “selective or vindictive prosecution.”

Without Ábrego García’s “successful lawsuit challenging his removal to El Salvador, the government would not have brought this prosecution,” said Crenshaw, dismissing claims of “new evidence” against him.

Advertise with us

In earlier court filings, Crenshaw wrote he had found some evidence that the prosecution against Ábrego García “may be vindictive.” The judge said many statements by Trump administration officials “raise cause for concern.” He cited a statement by then-Deputy Attorney General Todd Blanche that seemed to suggest the Justice Department charged Ábrego García because he won his wrongful-deportation case.

First Assistant U.S. Attorney for the Middle District of Tennessee Rob McGuire had resisted requests to provide documents and testimony to Ábrego García from senior Justice Department officials including Blanche. McGuire insisted that he was the decision-maker in the case and that his motivations were the only relevant ones.

Ábrego García was charged with human smuggling and conspiracy to commit human smuggling, with prosecutors claiming that he accepted money to transport within the United States people who were in the country illegally.

“Today, a federal judge made clear what we have long known: the Department of Justice was engaged in a vindictive prosecution against Kilmar Abrego Garcia,” said Sen. Chris Van Hollen, a Maryland Democrat who has been one of Abrego Garcia’s most vocal supporters. “As the judge stated, this was a blatant ‘abuse of prosecutorial power’ – one that should disturb all Americans. This decision is a strong repudiation of Trump’s lawless DOJ and a win for the Constitutional rights of everyone in our nation.”

The charges stem from a 2022 traffic stop in Tennessee for speeding. Body camera footage from a Tennessee Highway Patrol officer shows a calm exchange with Ábrego García. There were nine passengers in the car, and the officers discussed among themselves their suspicions of smuggling. However, Ábrego García was eventually allowed to continue driving with only a warning.

Advertise with us

A Department of Homeland Security agent testified at an earlier hearing that he did not begin investigating the traffic stop until after the U.S. Supreme Court said in April 2025 that Trump’s Republican administration must work to bring Ábrego García back from El Salvador. The deportation violated a 2019 immigration court order granting him protection from deportation to his home country, after the judge found he faced danger there from a gang that targeted his family.

Ábrego García is a Salvadoran citizen with an American wife and child who has lived in Maryland for years although he immigrated to the U.S. illegally as a teenager. The 2019 order allowed him to live and work in the U.S. under Immigration and Customs Enforcement supervision, but he was not given residency status.

Meanwhile, Trump administration officials have said Abrego Garcia cannot remain in the U.S. They have vowed to deport him to a third country, most recently Liberia.